Pages

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Year End Awards 2009


Happy New Year! Ushering in the year 2010, we have to say goodbye to what has been a crazy 2009. I cannot say that it was the best year ever, obviously it wasn't. We had the recession, typhoons, earthquakes, scandals, etc. But I cannot say that it was the worst year ever, the Lakers won the championship, lots of great surprises, rising stars, great music. And of course, this blog went on the rise this year, going from a virtual unknown to being one of the contenders on Top Blogs. I would like to officially welcome you to The Carlo Chronicles Year End Awards 2009. This is a new custom that I want to do at the end of every year, here, we will remember and honor the moments, events and people who helped shape the very image of the year on this blog. So this is how it will go, we will have four nominees for each category, a breakdown and analysis will be presented to you in order to justify the decision and winner. It's going to be quite long so grab a snack before reading, ready? Happy New Year everyone!

MUSIC

Song of the Year
Nominees are:
I Gotta Feeling, Tik Tok, Fireflies, New Perspective.

Breakdown: Starting as the biggest hit of the year, I Gotta Feeling was being played over and over again, it brought iPods and radios to their knees. Problem was, it was played a little too much, when I hear it now, I start feeling nauseous. Many may have dubbed it as a "chick song", but Tik Tok continues to play everywhere since it came out. This song has the ability to pump you up, and change your mood completely, Kesha will be remembered for this song when she calls it quits. Owl City's Fireflies dominated for about two months down the stretch of 2009, it was the only song anyone wanted to listen to. Nobody may have understood what any of it meant, but criticizing this song was considered blasphemy during that fair length of time. The song that stayed on top the longest this year, New Perspective stuck around longer than it's creators, as Panic at the Disco disintegrated this year. It topped the Top5@5 for a record breaking length of time. I don't think this deserves the win though, so even if it makes me wanna barf, I Got a Feeling still owned 2009.

The Winner is:
I Got a Feeling

Music Video of the Year
Nominees are:
Remember December, Naturally, Hard, Party in the USA.

Breakdown: All the good videos came out in the latter part of the year, but as the saying goes, better late than never. Remember December really made up for the plain video of Here we go again, best use of lighting and theme costumes I've ever seen, unbelievably stunning. I admit that I am having a hard time to describe this video, you really cannot grasp exactly how awesome it is without watching it. As for Hard, imagine the movie Black Hawk Down. Now put some music into the scene, and instead of Josh Hartnett, make it Rihanna. That's the video right there. Truly a strong contender, will likely reach it's peak in 2010. Party in the USA is the only song I ever enjoyed from Miley Cyrus. Catchy, easy to memorize, but I did not dig the video as much as most of you did. People were saying that she looked really hot in the video, but I say she didn't, she looked her best in the first season of Hannah Montana. Naturally was shot purely in front of the green screen, allowing amazing effects and graphics to be put on full display. Selena's costumes were right on with the theme of the video. Really, that's all I'm looking for, simple and awesome.

The Winner is: Naturally

Album of the Year
Nominees are:
The E.N.D, Here we go again, Relapse, Ocean Eyes.

Breakdown: The E.ND. contains arguably the strongest line up of songs among the four nominees, multiple number ones on their track listing and most of them get stuck in your head.The album that had the most hype surrounding it though, was Demi's Here we go again, two days before it's release, social networking sites were flooded with talk about this album. The record rocketed to the top in a mere 20 hours. The musicality was excellent and the artwork was amazing, Disney never lets up. If you have ever read the book of revelations, you know that no human can simply understand it's true meaning. Well, the same goes for Ocean Eyes by Owl City. I can say that the songs were amazing and all that, but they don't make any sense at all. A kindergartner can write those lyrics. Another album just as consistent as Ocean Eyes has to be Relapse.The tracks are so diverse yet Eminem's pure talent seemed to glue it all together, it may be a parental warning thing, but it's a masterpiece. Oh, and unlike Owl City, Eminem actually makes sense, so he wins.

The Winner is:
Relapse by Eminem

Music Artist of the Year
Nominees are:
Eminem, Black Eyed Peas, Demi Lovato, Owl City.

Breakdown: It was no contest, Demi had total control of the first half of 2009, with the release of her album "Here we go again", the charts bowed down as it broke into the number one spot in less than 20 hours. Demi has proven exactly how deep of an artist she really is, this early, I believe she will definitely be one of the greats, her music was overlooked by some critics due to the overwhelming amount of competition. Committing to leaving his drug addiction behind, rapper Eminem came in strong with an album called "Relapse". The album had good songs from start to finish, very consistent and contains no upsets. Eminem had a dispute with fellow artist Mariah Carey in which he used a song called "The Warning" to fend off the song "Obsessed", which Eminem felt Mariah was using to attack him on a personal matter. The strangest nominee on the list is a dude that popped out of nowhere! Armed with an array of songs that make absolutely no sense, this lone artist is still holding the music industry in his hands as I write this edition for you. Does anyone know what his real name is? I could bump into him at the grocery store and not give a damn! Yes, Owl City is not a band, it's just some dude on the piano, I'm sorry for killing the Magic. Possibly the strongest force in music this year, the Black Eyed Peas were responsible for three of the most solid songs of the year; I got a feeling, Meet me halfway and Boom boom pow. You don't see that stuff every year, congratulations BEP.

The Winner is: Black Eyed Peas

CINEMA AND TELEVISION

Commercial of the Year
Nominees are:
Manny Pacquiao's Vitwater, Kobe and Lebron's MVPuppets, Selena Gomez's Sears Arrive Lounge, John Lloyd and Bea's Greenwich.

Breakdown: I'll begin with the shortest breakdown,
Vitwater coined one of the most memorable phrases in advertising history thanks to boxing superstar, Manny Pacquiao, "There's something better you know, Vitwater! Now you know." That alone deserves a nomination. Another local commercial makes the cut here, Greenwich's "Sobrang Cheesy!" (Really Cheesy!) has been fully incorporated into the Filipino culture in a matter of months. When something awkward takes place, the entire country utters this line in a inappropriate manner, it has become so influential that they actually have a "Sobrang Cheesy moment of the game" in local Collegiate tournaments. Lord, what has our country come to? Here's one with good influence, Sears Arive Lounge replaced the scandalous Vanessa Hudgens with the clean Selena Gomez. The only thing that made kids look forward to going back to school was this promotion by Sears, launching yet another back to school line of fashion, Sears really hit the jackpot by signing Selena Gomez. All the previous commercials are pale in comparison to the unforgettable Nike commercial series, MVPuppets. Probably the greatest idea of all time, Sesame Street meets Nike, what could be more powerful? Besides the commercial Kobe also appeared in a few Sesame Street episodes in November, without Lebron.

The Winner is: Kobe and Lebron's MVPuppets

TV Series of the Year
Nominees are:
Wizards of Waverly Place, 90210, May Bukas Pa (Santino), Sonny with a chance.

Breakdown: Emmy award winning series Wizards of Waverly Place entered it's third season this year, everything seemed to be clicking despite the growing age of the cast, allowing them to shoot a movie later on this year. The chemistry on that show is remarkable and it makes them all the more worthy of winning this category.
All you local readers should be proud of this next one, it's about a little boy who can cure people because of his "God given powers", the kid is better known as Santino in the ABS-CBN series, "May Bukas Pa" the show was such a hit in households everywhere, everyone, from the old man on top of Smoky Mountain, to President Arroyo in Malacanang Palace is watching it. It's starting to irrritate me though, since it looks like they have no plans of killing Santino off the show, as he was in the original script. 90210, or as I like to call it, the most epic drama of the year. It's the show where you think everything is finally going right then it all burns to hell in one episode. Unpredictable, unmatched, unstoppable. The most surprising show of the year is what seemed like another one season show upon introduction, the spirit of So Random and McKenzie Falls captured the hearts of tweens all over the world. Sonny with a chance overtook American Idol as the most watched show by tweens. Season 2 will be released in January 2010. It was a nail biter as I decided between Sonny with a chance and 90210, but because of the two season year they had compared to SWAC's single season year, 90210 wins.

The Winner is:
90210

TV Reality Show of the Year

Nominees are:
Wipeout, American Idol, Pros vs. Joes, Keeping up with the Kardashians.


Breakdown: Wipeout was one of those things that you know is stupid and pointless, yet when you start watching it, you can't seem to stop, well, that's about it really. American Idol had arguably it's worst season ever last year, the only cool person there was... nobody! Final round was between a fag and an average dude, but American Idol has that thing about it, it's automatically nominated every year just for being on air. Overrated? Sure, but what can you do? Pros vs. Joes is something that any sports fan can appreciate, you get to see some of your old retired sports heroes being obstacles to some regular beer drinking losers in search for some pocket money, that should be enough to explain it's awesomeness. Lamar Odom, first thing that pops into my mind when I hear anything about this show, it's hilarious how shows about other people's lives make ratings soar, but that's how sick we brown nosing people are, good stuff.

The Winner is: Wipeout

Talk show of the Year
Nominees are:
Jimmy Kimmel Live, Ellen, Larry King Live, Late night with David Letterman
.

Breakdown: It's pretty simple to break this down, I see it as a close contest between Jimmy Kimmel Live and Ellen. Larry King and David Letterman were good, but I felt as if Larry was at his best in 2008, and David just isn't a dominant camera presence even if he moves around so much. Jimmy Kimmel has the upper hand when it comes to the informative interviews, since Ellen usually focuses on specific stories. The guesting was just about equal, both sides had great guest stars, but as a whole, I think Ellen took over this year due to the extra games and segments they have, maybe cause they got a bigger stage, but whatever.


The Winner is: Ellen


Movie of the Year
Nominees are:
Kobe Doin' Work,
The Blind Side, Princess Protection Program, First Ink.

Breakdown:
Based on a true story of how a young orphan from the streets became an All-American football star, I love these true to life inspirational movies. The Blind Side shows us that we can actually reach anything we dream of if we really go for it, all we need is dedication and a little help along the way. Moving on to a fictional nomination, Princess Protection Program starring teen phenoms Selena Gomez and Demi Lovato premiered this year as well. It was the most awaited television premiere of the year, and the acting was done exceptionally, not as good as Another Cinderella Story, but I'll take it. Lot's of good sports movies came out as well, The blind side is one of them, More than a game is another, but they did not make the cut since they were outdone by two more commendable films. Director Spike Lee gave us a chance to get inside the head of the greatest athlete on the planet through his spectacular work on Kobe Doin' Work. The creation required, Kobe being mic'd up and the Staples Center being wired with multiple HD cameras to capture every bit of action that transpired on the court, all the while Kobe gave a full analysis on his every movement. Following the realease of this film, being the self proclaimed King that he is, Lebron decided to do one about himself, that does not deserve a nomination. The third basketball related film of the year was released near Christmastime, Chris Bosh's First Ink. According to NBA writer Sekou Smith, Chris Bosh's First Ink beats out Avatar, and I have to agree with him. Chris Bosh shows us everything from his deepest and innermost thoughts to his natural comedic ways in this special Christmas DVD. Since it's the only one that stands out from the rest, revolutionizing a whole new kind of cinematography, Kobe Doin' Work wins this category.

The Winner is: Kobe Doin' Work

Screen Personality of the Year
Nominees are:
Megan Fox, Selena Gomez, Emma Watson, Ashley Greene.

Breakdown: First off, I'm sorry that all the nominees are women, if you think I overlooked a dude this year, too bad.
Megan Fox, the so called "hottest in the world" played a valuable role in the market for Transformers and Jennifer's Body, moviegoers proclaimed they only bought tickets for the sake of supporting Megan Fox. Some resistance remains as bloggers and critics say that she was an upset in both roles. Another upset was how underrated this next girl was, Ashley Greene. The only reason I watched Twilight and New Moon, Ashley Greene's role of Alice Cullen is without question the strongest characterization this year. Ashley executed the role with diligence and accuracy, definitely worthy of this title. Also good characterization was Hermione Granger, played by Emma Watson. Drawing a storm of attention after her decision to go to college after the Harry Potter premiere early this year, Emma Watson struck audiences all over the world playing Hermione for the seventh time in her career. The nominee that took on the most screen time was obviously Selena Gomez, the 17 year old beauty pushed through a very busy year; she launched the third season of WOWP, she premiered two movies, Princess Protection Program and WOWP the movie. She received outstanding reviews for all her roles, no critic would dare lie and say she wasn't good. Hard earned, well deserved.

The Winner is: Selena Gomez

PUBLICATIONS AND MEDIA

Book of the Year
Nominees are:
Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Miles to go, Character Driven, The Art of a beautiful game.

Breakdown: Let's start with the only novelty book, Diary of a wimpy kid and Pretty Little Liars. The wimpy kid series was genius, it took a compilation of simple childish paragraphs and stick figure illustrations and made it into something that just clicked. I loved the book series so much that I actually collected them all, and to answer the questions of the kids out there, I did not buy the orange book because it doesn't count, go and cry.
The next three books are true to life, one is a collaboration between Derek Fisher and Gary Brozek in what may be the best book to buy for someone trying to figure out what to do in life. The inspirational text carries you through Derek Fisher's journey in life and the things he learned from the smallest and most modest of things, leading up to his legendary NBA career. The second book, which made Carlo's Christmas Cobbler this year is a single written by Chris Ballard, who delivers the topics in a variety of ways, leading up to the best modern era book written for professional sports. The last book making it's case for the category is Miles to go, this is Miley Cyrus' somewhat biography, I say somewhat because it's not complete as the title hints. I was quite surprised by how this book made me understand Miley Cyrus more, and not be that much of a hater anymore, touching. All the books have great qualities, but if I were to choose one that I believe won the year over, it would Jeff Kinney's wimpy kid series.

The Winner is: Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Magazine of the Year
Nominees are:
Time, M!, Sports Illustrated, SLAM.

Breakdown:
I know what you're going to say, "How could you nominate M! over Tiger Beat!?", M! really entertained me this year, they always have a lot to dish on Selena Gomez, and they give posters of her too. Tiger Beat praises Justin Bieber too much anyway. Speaking of too much, Barack Obama was over exposed by Time magazine after his victory in 2008, nevertheless, their articles are very commendable and look like they have a wide array of good writers. Besides, Barck Obama's face sells. The last two are sports related, easily inferred from the name Sports Illustrated. SI had great single article releases, they did great coverage on everything, especially the Lakers' trip back to the promised land. The Lakers, well more of Kobe actually, was backed by SLAM all year long. SLAM released two covers with Kobe Bryant on them, the first was a picture of two Kobes guarding each other and the second had Kobe's scowl in the finals against Orlando.

The Winner is: SLAM

News source of the Year
Nominees are:
Los Angeles Times, The Philippine Star, New York Post, The Philippine Daily Inquirer.

Breakdown: I actually want to cut this one short, so straight up I'm telling you that the Inquirer and the NY Post aren't winning anything, they have good articles consistently, but they just didn't have "it" this year. So it's down to the LA times and Philippine Star, Star got on my good side after Sunday lifestyle columnist Ricky Lo did a full two page feature on Selena Gomez in his November 22nd article. Other than that, it was pretty matched up with the Inquirer. The Times have been on my good side a lot this year, considering the articles I write for The Lakeshow Express, I have to do a lot of research everyday and to make my job easier, I frequently read the articles by
The Winner is: Los Angeles Times

Author of the Year
Nominees are:
Jeff Kinney, Chris Ballard, Sara Shepard, Sean Covey
.

Breakdown: Jeff Kinney
founder of the world famous wimpy kid series which took it's rise this year, Jeff Kinney is like the best friend every kid wants. Jeff establishes his presence in the main character of his series, Greg Heffley. In the book, Greg takes us with him on very relative everyday experiences via his "Diary" or as he would like us to call it, a journal. I feel that anyone can find themselves within the character Greg Heffley, whether it be his views on sibling rivalry, or his hate for public pools. Though I abruptly dislike her books, Sarah Shepard is also very good at relating to her readers, targeting the similar mindsets of teen girls, she knows exactly what to jot down on her novels. Her sure shot style of writing enchants girls ages 13-19 into grabbing copies of her books, truly a strong contender. Chris Ballard on the other hand does not target relating to his audience, but instead he tries to impose a mentality upon them. Chris is one of the most complete writers in the game today, he describes situations with utmost attention and filtration to needed detail, allowing the reader to envision the event as if it were on television. His analytical judgement and coverage of the subjects in his book shows us with clarity what it the art of a beautiful game truly is. As the reader you are enticed to challenge his thoughts on the subject but in the neutral way it was written, it's quite hard to take a shot at him. Finally, from a family dedicated to helping society, Sean Covey, Stephen Covey's son, delivers self help books that do not seem as if they were written by some control freak 80's person. Sean simply shows us a compilation of stories sent in by teens around the world and writes his opinions regarding the matter, how it could have been better or worse. The nice thing about his writing is that you don't feel that he's trying to steer you in a certain direction, he's merely showing you what you can do in life and leaves the rest up to you. You'll feel like you're the one that finishes the book and not him.

The Winner is:
Sean Covey

SPORTS

Franchise of the Year
Nominees are:
Los Angeles Lakers, New York Yankees, Lowe's Racing, Ateneo De Manila Blue Eagles.

Breakdown: In this category, it's all about championships and value. The New York Knicks would have been nominated, but Jay Z is banking too much on the idea of Lebron or Dwayne Wade over the summer. So the Lakers achieved their 15th championship this year while the Yankees took their 17th, marking redemption for the legendary franchises. Team Lowe's racing on the other hand simply defended their title for the fourth time, which doesn't look that hard since they have Jimmie Johnson. The only non-professional team on the list, ADMU has won it's second championship in a row. The team this year was filled with talent and determination, they also had a very hot courtside reporter, Jessica Mendoza, which is why I give them the title of Franchise of the Year. True Blue, and yes I am from La Salle.

The Winner is:
Ateneo De Manila Blue Eagles

Moment of the Year
Nominees are:
Kobe Bryant jumps into the air at Amway Arena, Shane Mosley crashes Floyd Mayweather's comeback
, Manu Ginobli takes down a bat, Lebron James steals fries from a fan.

Breakdown:When it comes to achievement, Kobe's jump of redemption as he and the Lakers won championship takes the cake. Controversy wise, it's Floyd Mayweather's win over Juan Manuel Marquez being spoiled by the rantings of Shane Mosley. That's all too serious though compared to what Lebron did, taking some fries from a kid wearing a Kevin Durant jersey, can you believe the little traitor even high-fived him? The perfect sports moment this year needs to have an aura of seriousness, skill, and hilarity. We can find all that in Manu Ginobli's game saving karate chop to take down a stray bat. Namaste.
The Winner is: Manu Ginobli takes down a bat.

Athlete of the Year
Nominees are:
Kobe Bryant, Stan Fletcher, Jimmie Johnson, Manny Pacquiao.

Breakdown: Claiming his seventh title belt against the aged Oscar De La Hoya, Manny now rivals only Floyd Mayweather Jr. as the greatest fighter on the planet. I believe that "Money" Mayweather is the better fighter, but due to Mayweather's short lived retirement before the Marquez fight, Manny deserves the nomination over him. The best player to ever participate in his sport, Slam Ball. Stan "Shakes" Fletcher is a Maulers gunner who does almost everything for his franchise, he presents a very strong case, but the unfamiliarity of the sport is what brings him down. On the case of a very well known sport, Kobe won his fourth NBA championship this year marking the 15th banner for the Los Angeles Lakers. Kobe is also playing at a high level this season, with the Lakers holding on to the best record in the league despite five multiple injuries.Like Kobe, Jimmie hauled down his fourth NASCAR Sprint Cup championship this year. Lowe's racing has arguably the greatest racer of all time on their team.

The Winner is: Kobe Bryant and Jimmie Johnson

OTHER CATEGORIES

Quote of the Year
Nominees are:
"Cherry Cherry Boom Boom" - Lady GaGa, "I'm a let you finish" - Kanye West, "Basically." - Justin Bieber, "Now you know." - Manny Pacquiao.

Breakdown: The winning quote has to be perfect, or just the best among the four anyway. What makes a qoute worthy of this title? It has to either be really deep or really funny, simple really. The most useless, yet probably the most used quote of the set comes from fifteen year old pain in the ass, Justin Bieber. If you've ever heard a Justin Bieber interview, you'll notice this scum bag doesn't know how to talk properly. Whenever he answers a question, he begins his sentence with, "Well basically," then he blabs about whatever. Stop laughing loser, you do this too. This next quote is kinda what I personally want to win, Lady GaGa's
"Cherry Cherry Boom Boom". I mean, how much better can it get? The funniest nomination is clearly "Now you know" from Manny Pacquiao, let's face it, this guy is funnier than he is a good boxer. Imagine all those people who know the Philippines through Pacquiao, they must be wondering if we all sound like that. The last quote we have comes from Kanye West, when he absolutely owned Taylor Swift on stage. After that incident, lots of Taylor fans felt insulted, being the immature little girls that they are, they started a group called "Team Taylor". What those girls don't know is that two can play at that game, I started promoting the "Team Kanye" movement here on the blog, it flopped, but it was worth a shot. In this short dialogue, Kanye inspires us to speak our minds anywhere at anytime, it is because of brave, idealistic men such as Kanye, that we still have hope left in this world. You might want to say, "I'ma let you finish, but Manny Pacquiao had the best quote of 2009!" I will stop you right there because yes, the Pacman's quote was very hilarious, but as I thought even deeper about this, Pacman only brought hilarity with his words while Kanye brought both hilarity and inspiration. So Kanye, we won't interrupt your win, you deserve this. That moment will forever be epic.

The Winner is: "I'ma let you finish" - Kanye West

Douchebag of the Year
Nominees are:
Trace Cyrus, Stephon Marbury, Justin Bieber, Taylor Lautner.


Breakdown:
Trace Cyrus received a lot of hate from me after word of his relationship with Demi Lovato came out in July, he was even lucky enough to have his name on my 50th blog. I hated on him for quite some time because he is really a freakish dude he's like a freaking stick bug, tattoos from head to toe, plus he webcams himself getting those tattoos. I can't figure out what Trace really is, looks emo to me. The guys who read my first few blogs, you may be able to fully understand why Stephon Marbury made the list. When I was still getting the swag of this whole writing concept, I covered Stephon Marbury quite frequently following his sudden transition to the Boston Celtics franchise. I was able to catch up to him last when I talked about him going crazy in his apartment after a low profile exit from the league. This next guy dosen't come as a surprise since all straight men hate the vampire and espescially the unrealistic Werewolf from the Twilight saga. Taylor Lautner is that Werewolf, he has received praise from a large number of the female population for reasons still unknown to man, they say it's because of his notorious "eight pack abs", but don't all those UFC fighters have them too? We should put Rich Franklin in a movie and see how the chicks react. I once said , "Is it possible to be a straight guy and not hate Taylor Lautner?". That said, I'm sure you're probably counting Justin Bieber out of the running since the two dudes from Twilight are nominated, but I'm saying right now that I will give him the award. Why the spoiler? Originally, Taylor Lautner had this category in the bag, but when Justin sang "One Less Lonely Girl" to Selena Gomez at the Dick Clark New Year's Eve party, he ran away with the title. Think of it as a buzzer beating basket, stupid midget. If you haven't noticed by now, I did not include Allen Iverson in this category, since he didn't really do anything to piss me off , matter of fact he gave me an extra topic when I needed one.

The Winner is: Justin Bieber

Role Model of the Year
Nominees are:
Ron Artest, Selena Gomez, Emma Watson, Derek Fisher.


Breakdown: For me, this is the best award you can be named to in the YEA since it shows your character and inspirational value. Ron Artest being nominated would have been unthinkable before this year, Artest was known as one of the worst examples of a professional athlete before 2009. Ron Artest took part of the notorious "malice in the palace" in Detroit, he admitted to a life full of vices and has made many rude and strange remarks in front of the media. When the Los Angeles Lakers signed Ron Artest to a contract this year, he showed us a perfect example of how a person can sincerely change, hanging out with fans, protecting stray animals, supporting orphans and putting kids in school. The Laker roster makes another entry into the list with point guard Derek Fisher, who wrote his book, Charcter Driven, this year. In his book, Derek shows young people his path to success and how everything that happens in life must be taken as a learning experience. Emma Watson also proved herself as a role model thanks to her bold decision to attend an Ivy league college and putting her acting career on hold. This girl dosen't need this college stuff since she's getting paid millions of dollars to pretend that she's Harry Potter's friend, but she did it anyway. Selena Gomez braved a tough year, despite an inhumanly hectic schedule, she still managed to lead the charge of UNICEF's Halloween fundraiser that this blog took part of. (Thanks to all those who supported the project.) So, it was a tough call between Ron Artest and Selena Gomez, but since Ron Artest came out of a horrible background and image, and seeing as how much we love to see someone rise from a bad situation, I have to give it to him.

The Winner is: Ron Artest

Hottest Person of the Year
Nominees are:
Alice Cullen, Selena Gomez, Jessica Lowndes, Eva Longoria Parker.


Breakdown:
If this was live, I'm sure a good number of the audience would try and boo my ass off the stage for not even including Megan Fox, Emma Watson and Leighton Meester in the top four. Those girls just aren't my type, call it biased, I don't really care that's why it's my award ceremony. So on to the discussion, I would just like to clarify that I did not nominate Ashley Greene, the nominee is her character Alice. Alice Cullen is the only nominee that does not exist, you may want her to lose by default, but I think she's just too hot to leave out of the competition. The oldest among the beautiful ladies on this list is the best desperate housewife ever, Eva Longoria Parker. Eva almost lost her spot on this list to the up and coming Annalyne McCord, I felt bad for leaving Annalyne out of the competition, but Eva really edges her no matter what I do. Tony Parker, you are a lucky dude. My favorite to win this award would have to be my dearest Selena Gomez, she's tall compared to the other nominees who pit an average of about 5'3, and height is always a plus. Selena's body is what young girls out there should strive for, not to skinny, just right and healthy. she experimented with multiple hair-dos in 2009 and has Proven that she looks hot no matter how her hair looks like. In any role or situation, Selena has the ability to look cute. The wild card for this category is Jessica Lowndes, who plays Adrianna Tate-Duncan in the series 90210. For you losers who don't watch the show, the name might not ring any bells, but you can take my word for it, she is gorgeous.

The Winner is: Selena Gomez

The Carlo Chronicles Person of the Year
Nominees are:
Barack Obama, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, Kobe Bryant.

Breakdown: Barack is the most overrated person in the world, but
when it comes to this blog, he is the most underrated person. I can't believe I snubbed the President of the United States so often, so let me explain why I chose to nominate him anyway, Barack decided to destroy the White House bowling alley and make it into a basketball court, that's what I call improvement. It's quite obvious that Demi Lovato had to be nominated, she was the base for most of my early articles, playing a good foundation role for this website. Selena Gomez was the latest entry to qualify for this category, I did not really notice how amazing she was until September, since then, she's gotten a lot of exposure on this blog. Kobe is the oldest topic contributor to the blog, since I started out only covering basketball, Kobe served as a frequent topic since I started this blog. I make my decision and I think that Demi Lovato really was the strongest on this blog even if it was only for a while.

The Winner is: Demi Lovato

The Carlo Chronicles

Top Five Blogs of the Year
1. Carlo's Christmas Cobbler
2. Exams, Selena Gomez and an interview with Charlie Villanueva.
3. A Historic First day of classes.
4. Carlo's coverage of Typhoon Ondoy.
5. Eastern big men, bargain bin free agents and why I hate Metro Station.

Awards and honors received this Year
- High of 75th Place in Top Blogs Philippines' Humor division.
- DLSZ Bloggers society's best blog on Typhoon Ondoy.
-
DLSZ Bloggers society Vice President.


There you have it ladies and gentlemen, The Carlo Chronicles Year End Awards, or as I call it the YEA! awards. Now, I know that this was published in an improperly tardy manner and for that, I sincerely apologize. Before we call this a night, I would like to get a little speech out to all of you, so here goes;

This has been an amazing year in terms of the abilities I discovered within myself, I began simply by writing about what was happening in the NBA, those articles were merely about a paragraph in length. In the course of less than a year, I have turned that simplicity into what I believe is now a local contender among humor blogs. The swift rising of this website is surreal, I have to thank God for giving me this incredible gift. I must also give special mentions to the different people I converse with everyday, whether it be on the bus, the lockers, the classroom, or maybe I just met you on the street, I get a lot of my ideas and topics from our discussions, thank you. To all the people who have been supporting this blog, you guys are amazing, I know that some of you never miss an article, you guys are the best. All that said, I promise that this is going to be the start of a great year, we started at the bottom last year, and now look where we are. I have a lot in store for all of you this year, so don't miss out! Once again, I'm Carlo Herrera, and a Happy New Year to everyone.